Terms and conditions
Please review these Terms and Conditions. By using the tutoring service, the Client is deemed to have accepted these Terms and Conditions and agrees to adhere to them.
Any person who has agreed to use these tutoring services and has accepted the Terms and Conditions under which the services are provided, including a student enrolled in a school, college or university, an adult learner, or a student under adult approval from his/her parent or legal guardian.
chemistrytutor.me and its employees and agents, which is a sole-proprietorship providing science tuition and education resources of which Dr Carl Thirsk is its Principal Tutor.
Any and all drawings, designs, specifications, models, samples, devices, manuals, reports, plans, diagrams, prototypes, computer programs, documentations and other things in which copyright subsists together with any and all information results, data, calculations, know-how, business sensitive data including pricing policies and private terms of business relating to customers and suppliers and other things which are received by either party from the other during or as a consequence of any exchange of information or discussions.
Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)
Any and all of the following: patents, rights to inventions, copyright and related rights, trademarks, trade names and domain names, rights in get-up, rights in goodwill or to sue for passing off, unfair competition rights, rights in designs, rights in computer software, database rights, topography rights, rights in confidential information (including know-how and trade secrets) and any other intellectual property rights, in each case whether registered or unregistered and including all applications (or rights to apply) for, and renewals or extensions of, such rights and all similar or equivalent rights or forms of protection which subsist or will subsist now or in the future in any part of the world.
A pre-booked session in which tuition occurs.
Any digital or print materials used or created by the Company and made available to the Client in the course of tuition that are primarily intended to be used in digital or print form by the Client for the purposes of any course of study or tuition. For the avoidance of doubt, this shall mean, but shall not be limited to, recorded lectures, videos, audio files, podcasts, presentations, exercises, question booklets, checklists, notes and other e-learning materials.
Tuition and Tutoring
Provision of teaching and other educational services, including but not limited to curriculum lessons; revision lessons; exam preparation; marking and feedback on Client work; advice on study skills, exam technique and careers; proof-reading of CVs, personal statements, assignments, essays, dissertations and theses; all of which may be provided during face-to-face or online tutoring lessons, or through other means of communication such as email.
- A Client may purchase one or more Lessons. By doing so, they are entering into a direct contract with the Company for the provision of tuition services under the Terms and Conditions prevailing.
- For tuition during term-time, a minimum booking of four lessons is required.
- Tuition is provided strictly on a standing appointment basis. The Client will be allocated a weekly time slot and it is expected that tuition takes places in the same time slot each week.
- During holiday periods, additional lessons may be booked on a first-come, first-served basis, either individually or in blocks.
- Please note it is advisable to book well in advance as demand for revision lessons during holidays and in exam season (particularly the spring and summer half-terms and Easter) is extremely high.
- Existing Clients are given advance notice of holiday availability and get booking priority.
Fees and Payment
- Current fees are shown here.
- Payments should be made in advance upon receipt of an invoice sent to the Client. A Lesson is not booked and will not be taught until payment has been received.
- Payments may be made by bank transfer (BACS) or PayPal (please note a 4% surcharge is added to cover their merchant fees)
- Liability for payments will commence on the earlier of a Client confirming orally or in writing their desire to proceed, or the date on which the Company starts providing tutoring services
- Time for Lesson planning and marking of work set by the Company is included in the hourly fee for each Lesson. If a substantial amount of additional time is required (e.g. for past paper marking and feedback), the Client will be notified in advance
- In the event of late payment, the Company reserves the right to suspend or withdraw tuition services until the outstanding balance has been settled.
Cancellations and Rescheduling
- In the event that a Client wishes to cancel or reschedule a Lesson, no less than 48 hours’ notice should be given prior to the allotted Lesson time.
- If less than 48 hours’ notice is given, the Company will endeavour to find a mutually convenient time to reschedule the Lesson, however if this is not possible the full amount for the Lesson will be charged.
- Tuition is only effective when it occurs regularly and without interruption. For that reason, the Company reserves the right to cancel tuition in cases where Lessons have been cancelled or rescheduled on a regular basis. For guidance purposes, tuition services may be suspended or withdrawn entirely if a Client or reschedules or cancels:
- more than one session in eight booked sessions;
- three sessions in a term.
- Refunds are not available for any Lessons once delivered.
- Refunds equal to the value of remaining Lessons are available on pre-booked Lessons that are cancelled within 48 hours.
- In the event that the scheduled Lesson cannot take place due to technology problems (e.g. failure of network, Skype outage etc.), the Company will endeavour to reschedule the Lesson at a mutually convenient time.
- However, it is the Client’s responsibility to ensure they have adequate technology and network access for online tuition and failure to fulfil this will lead to the Client being charged the full amount for the missed Lesson.
Attendance, Punctuality and Behaviour
- If a Client fails to attend a Lesson within 5 minutes of the scheduled start time for a Lesson, that Lesson will be deemed forfeited and the full amount will be charged.
- Unless there are extenuating circumstances, repeated failure to attend scheduled Lessons will lead to a warning notice being issued after two missed Lessons and automatic cancellation of tuition after the third missed Lesson.
- There is an obligation for the student to behave in a correct and acceptable manner during tutoring Lessons. Failure to adhere to this will result in cancellation of tuition.
- A student failing to complete two pieces of set homework without good reason will be warned and subsequent failures may lead to tuition being suspended.
- Subject to the provisions of the Patents Act 1977, the Registered Designs Act 1949 and the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, all IPR in Teaching Resources, documents, manuals, hardware and software provided for the Client’s use by the Company, and any data or documents (including copies) produced, maintained or stored on the Client’s computer systems or other electronic equipment (including mobile phones) shall remain the exclusive property of the Company.
- the Company grants the Client a royalty-free, limited, non-transferable, revocable license to use such material for academic use only and solely for the purpose of participating in the Lessons.
- The Client is not permitted to record any Lessons or take screenshots of resources without the express consent of the Company.
- Any recording of any Lesson shall belong to the Company and shall not be reproduced for any reason without the prior consent of the Company.
- All Teaching Resources used and made available to the Client remain the exclusive property of the Company.
- Without limitation the Client may not repackage, reformulate, edit, distribute, copy, sell or otherwise use any Teaching Resources without the prior written consent of the Company.
- Once tuition ends, the student’s access to Teaching Resources will cease.
- Confidential Information provided to the Company will be held only by the Company. The information supplied to the Company will not be deliberately passed to third parties. However, as with all electronic communication, nothing can be regarded as totally secure and therefore it is understood all information provided is done at the Client’s own risk.
Limit of Liability
- Whilst Clients are guaranteed high-quality, professional tuition, the Company does not guarantee specific grades or outcomes from examinations and coursework.
- By using the service, the Client accepts the principle that this is an educational service and will not hold the Company accountable for poor or disappointing academic progress and attainment.